A quick mid-week bonus here: Meatballs in tomato sauce. This recipe is easy to make, tastes amazing, and will have your mouth humming with delight.
Not only that, but we’ve also made a video of this recipe! Yes, that’s right, you can get the recipe here, but watch exactly how chef Kit makes them!
All you need to do is: gather your ingredients, make sure you have your equipment ready, then head on over to the LarderPantryandGarden YouTube channel to watch.
So, what will you need? Here’s the list, and the recipe!
Herbs: Mixing your own herb blend is a great way to personalise your meatballs. But, that’s not always possible, this blend by Kalypso is a great stand-by!
Olive oil: This Ilada Extra Virgin Olive Oil has to be some of the smoothest, and freshest olive oil I’ve ever discovered. It’s a must for any pantry!
Tomato Passata: A great base for all tomato sauces; pizza, pasta, or even soup!
Tomato Puree: To bolster the tomatoes, add in this thick puree. It will enrich the sauce, and thicken it too!
Tinned Tomatoes: An essential for any kitchen pantry. These chopped tomatoes take all the effort out of making tomato-based sauces, like bolognese etc.
Salt: Where would we be without salt? This fleur du sel is a French style from the Camargue, and lends great flavour to the recipe. But you can use regular cooking salt too!
Dutch oven: This whopping 4.2lt pot will be more than big enough for this recipe – and can be served at the table for that romantic and rustic dinner – and can also be used for other braises, stews, casseroles, and slow roasts, even to bake your sourdough loaf!
Chopping board: Every kitchen needs one, and this one will last you a lifetime!
Pairing knife: You won’t get far in cooking without a decent knife, and this pairing knife will do most jobs with ease!
Tongs: For turning over those super hot and golden brown meatballs!
Stirring spoons: A kitchen essential, don’t get caught short.
How to make Meatballs in tomato sauce:
Meatballs in tomato Sauce
- Dutch oven
- Chopping board
- Mixing bowl
- Stirring spoons
- 500 gr Pork mince/ground
- 200 gr Onions, brown cooked until soft
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 300 ml Tomato passata
- 400 gr Tomatoes, tinned chopped
- 30 gr Tomato puree
- 5 gr Parsley, dried
- 5 gr Oregano, dried
- 5 gr Basil, dried
- 10 ml Dijon mustard
- 20 ml Olive oil
- 100 gr Cheese Mozzarella, Emmental, Comte, Gouda etc
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place minced meat into a bowl, add softened onions, and garlic.
- Next, add the herbs, tomato puree, and Dijon mustard.
- Mix thoroughly together, until well combined and the meat becomes smooth and sticks together.
- Roll into 20 even sized balls – about the size of a golf ball.
- Heat oven to 200˚C/400˚F
- Heat an oven proof dish on medium-high heat.
- Add the olive oil, when hot add the meatballs and brown all over.
- Pour in the tomato passata and chopped tinned tomatoes.
- Stir gently until evenly mixed, simmer for 5mins.
- Transfer to the oven for 20mins.
- After 10mins, top with grated, or sliced, cheese, return to oven without a lid.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool for 5mins (while you dish up the pasta/potatoes etc), then serve up! This dish goes wonderfully with some fresh garlic and herb focaccia!
Thanks for checking out this post on how to make meatballs in tomato sauce, it’s a true Italian classic beloved around the world. I do hope you make it soon, and if you do, please come back and post a comment, or share a photo with the tag: #LarderPantryandGarden.
You can also follow LPaG on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube too!
This post may contain affiliate links.